Business Communication: Importance of business communication; ABC of technical communication – Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity; Channels of communication: Downward communication, Upward communication, Diagonal communication, Horizontal communication; Organisational GDs
Interpersonal Communication and Personality Development: Models of interpersonal development, Johari window, Knapp’s model, styles of communication; Team work; Persuasion techniques; Mobile Etiquette, e-mail Etiquette; Time Management
UNIT – III
Technical Written Communication: Differences between Technical Writing and General Writing; Report Writing: Types of Reports, Structure/Format, Language Style, Writing Technical Reports; Writing Scientific Papers.
UNIT – IV
Career Oriented Written Communication: Writing SOPs; Job Application: Language style and Format; Résumé writing: design and style; Cover Letter; Business Letters: Letters of enquiry and responses, Letters of complaint, Letters of adjustment, Sales letters; Agenda and minutes of the meeting
UNIT – V
Interview Skills and Group Discussions: Interviews: Purpose, Planning, Preparation, Language and style, Sample interview questions and answers; Group discussions: Types of GDs, Features of good GDs, Preparing for a group discussion
1. E. Suresh Kumar, Engineering English, Orient Biackswan, 2014.
2. E. Suresh Kumar et al., Communication Skills and Soft Skills. Pearson, 2011.
3. E. Suresh Kumar et al., English for Success. Cambridge University Press India Private Ltd, 2010.
4. Sanjay Kumar and Pushp Lata. Communication Skills. OUP, 2011.
5. Kavita Tyagi and Padma Misra. Professional Communication. PHI, 2011.
6. Meenakshl Raman and Sangeeta Sharma. Technical Communication: Principles and Practice. OUP, 2011.