Effective communication: Role and importance of communication; Features of human communication; Process of communication; Importance of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, Types of listening, Tips for effective listening, Types of communication: Non-verbal communication, Verbal – Formal versus Informal communication, One-way versus two-way communication; Barriers to communication
Remedial English : Common errors, Tense and aspects, Connectives and correlative conjuncts, Simple, complex and compound sentences, Voice, concord, Direct and indirect speech, Degrees of comparison, Question tags, Punctuation
UNIT – III
Written Communication : Paragraph writing, Precis writing, Expansion, Essay writing, Personal Letters, General reports
UNIT – IV
Vocabulary: Technical vocabulary, Homonyms, Homophones, Synonyms, Antonyms, Words often confused, One-word substitutes, Idiomatic usage, Affixes
UNIT — V
Reading comprehension and reading strategies.
The following live lessons are prescribed:
1. Or. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
2. Sathya NadaIla
3. AzIm Prernjl
4. Sachin Tendulakar
5. Sam Pitroda
1. E. Suresh Kumar, Engineering English, Orient Bladcswan, 2014.
2. E. Suresh Kumar et al., Communication Skills and Soft SkIIis,Pearson, 2011.
3. Sanjay Kumar and Pushp Late, Communication Skills, OUP, 2011.
4. Kavita Tyagi and Padma Misra, Professional Communication, PHI, 2011.
5. Meenakshi Raman and Sangeeta Sharma, Technical Communication: Principles and Practice, OUP, 2011.